The Porcelain Thread

Victoria
Admin

Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm
Victoria wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 am
Thank you for sharing this information LeoFox. I also collect these porcelain pieces like a Inoue Haruho teapot 井上春峰 急須. The porcelain pedestal cup, similar to yours, I use for gyokuro, it is by Noritake.

Haruho Inoue teapot 井上春峰 急須

Do you mean inoue shunpo?
井上春峰

https://japanese-ceramics.com/2nd-gener ... %E4%BB%A3/
It’s curious, this was one of the first teapots I got at the LA Akido Center. The founder who passed away, had a lot of great teaware that they auctioned off to support the center. Over the years I researched the signature and used translators, and also collected more pieces that are all very finely made. What’s strange is now when I input 井上春峰 急須 I do get Inoue Shunpo (and Shunho) teapot, rather than Haruho Inoue teapot. Weird did translator change or something. I wish I knew more about the family and various generations of potters. Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy.

I just got this searching translation, and both names come up. Hmmm.
IMG_5051.jpeg
IMG_5051.jpeg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 370 times
umami

Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm

Names are always difficult as there are multiple ways to read each kanji and you can mix and match as you wish. Inoue is a fairly common family name so that's easy to guess. 春峰 is a bit more difficult since it's also an artist/kiln name, not a person's name and these have even more variance. The only way I know of is to find a reliable looking website that includes the reading in hiragana. In this case it seems to be しゅんほう/Shunho, although there are also places with Shunpo.
Victoria
Admin

Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 am

umami wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm
Names are always difficult as there are multiple ways to read each kanji and you can mix and match as you wish. Inoue is a fairly common family name so that's easy to guess. 春峰 is a bit more difficult since it's also an artist/kiln name, not a person's name and these have even more variance. The only way I know of is to find a reliable looking website that includes the reading in hiragana. In this case it seems to be しゅんほう/Shunho, although there are also places with Shunpo.
Thank you @umami. I did find a site that identifies three generations of Shunho Inoue 井上春峰(いのうえ しゅんほ) unfortunately stamps/signatures are not included.
http://shunteian.com/%E5%8F%96%E6%89%B1 ... 6%EF%BC%89

This site has stamps of Inoue Shunpo 2nd 二代 井上春峰
IMG_1041.png
IMG_1041.png (208.5 KiB) Viewed 284 times